About TVCC's Performance Horse Series:
TVCC’s Performance Horse Series is focused on providing a fun competition where grade school, high school and college aged kids can develop ranching, horse training and rodeo skills that could lead to part time, or full time employment working in the equine and ranching industries as well as prepare a horse for a performance horse sale. In this program grade school and high school students get a taste of one of TVCC’s most popular pathway certificates called the “Performance Horse Selection, Training Marketing and Sales.” In this certificate students not only learn how to develop a business plan to prepare a horse to market and sale, but also learn horsemanship, stockmanship, roping and team work skills that can help save ranchers time and money, as well as generate new sources of income for cattle producers. In our fast pace society this is an opportunity for parents and kids to slow down and take the time to set a solid foundation in family relationships, ranching skills and the basic fundamentals needed in equine competitions. Parents of kids in the program are also allowed to enter competitions and play with their kids, with their entry fees going to year end prizes for the kids. TVCC’s performance horse series works closely with the Working Ranch Horse program through U of I 4-H extension. Both TVCC and the WRH share the same mission and vision in providing a positive learning environment while equipping kids with the knowledge and skills to be productive in the equine and ranching industry.
The Main focus of TVCC's Performance Horse Series is to:
1) Create a sport promoting the different areas needed to be successful ranch roping.
2) Set a solid foundation in young kids and horses getting ready to enter the rodeo arena.
3) Provide a fun atmosphere where parents and kids can play together at any age, or skill level.
4) Help kids develop skills in the equine and ranching industry that could lead to part time, or full time employment.
5) Equip kids with the knowledge and skills to select, train, market and sale a horse in a performance horse sale.
6) Offer an educational series for high school students with college credits available
- ANS 144 Ranch Roping Syllabus (Nov 6th - Nov 10th)
- For more info click here: Dual Credit
If you are in grade school and interested in the program contact:
Jeffrey Diehl through Working Ranch Horse @ email@example.com
If you are in high school and interested in college credits contact:
Calvin Hiatt @ firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in taking classes on TVCC contact:
Wade Black @ email@example.com
For Donations Click Here
(Please specify "Buckle Sponsor" in the "Write a Note" section under the amount given)
Rope dummy sitting on sawhorse, ride horse through obstacle course & rope, rope calves on foot.
1) Rope Dummy on Horse, 2) Work Cow on Foot,
3) Rope Cow w/ Breakaway Hondue on Foot
1) Rope Dummy on Horse Back, 2) Work Cow on Horse
3) Rope Cow w/ Breakaway Hondue on Horse
Rope w/ Exp. Roper (Judge Just Inexperience Roper)
Herd of Calves w/ Numbers, Call Number, Rope Calves, Must Hold Rodear
Phase 4 (Branding)
Judged Jack Pot Team Branding (Judge Header & Heeler)
Herd of calves w/ numbers, call number, rope calves, must hold rodear
Phase 4 (Pasture Doctoring)
Judged Jack Pot Team Doctoring (Judge Header & Heeler)
Simulated pasture doctoring, two calves in pen, each person heads and heels fix ropes themselves.
3 Questions That Judges Will Ask While Scoring Phase 3 and Phase 4
1) Who a rancher would want to hire to train his horses, brand his calves and doctor sick cows outside?
2) Which horse would sell for the most money at a ranch horse sale?
3) Which horse would a team roper want to buy?
Ground Work through Phase 2 -
- $10 (Focused on developing correct muscle memory in horses and ropers)
Phase 3 (Team Branding)
- $25 (Inexperienced roper roping with experienced roper, just inexperienced roper pays)
Phase 4 (Team Branding, Combined Score of Header and Heeler)
- $25 Open Jack Pot, ($50 per team)
Phase 4 (Pasture Doctoring)
- $25 Open Jack Pot ($50 per team)
Day Work Competitions
Use TQA Score Sheets
Dude Ranchers Trail Class
Day Work Skills Classes
Phase 1 (Individual)
Turn cow in and away both ways and rope dummy
Phase 2 (Individual)
Box Cow, Pen Cow, Sneak Loop
Phase 3 (Individual)
Sort Cow, Pen Cow, Sneak Loop
Phase 4 (Team)
Sort Cows, Pen Cows, Head and Heal and Doctor